Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Summer Wishlist

With summer here, I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things and maybe pick up some stuff. While some of its is functional/needed around the house, most of it it just stuff I want for me and my collection LOL.

#1: A dresser.

I had a dresser that an ex gave me. After three moves in three years, the cheap 80's model was falling apart at the seams. One drawer was stuck and the front was peeling off. When I moved a few years ago, I decided to just throw it out. I left it sitting on the sidewalk and less than an hour later, someone carried it off.

We live in an old house, so the closets are tiny. We each have our own, but we desperately need a new one. I found the perfect MCM dresser at a thrift store nearby, but as much as I loved it, I could not justify spending $150 plus tax on it. It sat in the store for over a month before I finally decided to bite the bullet and ask for a discount. It was in good shape, but had some minor stains, etc. that made it worth a lot less. Imagine my surprise when we stopped in this week and it was gone.

#2: Pink Pyrex.

We've had a Pyrex drought in our area lately (save for my finds today, which I'll post soon!). I only have one tiny pink Gooseberry lidded casserole, which I found in one of those thrift stores where you want to get in/out as fast as possible and wash your hands in the parking lot. I'm also searching for Spring Blossom pieces. There's something about the 70's avocado green that I just love!

#3: Temperware Sprite Pieces.

I found my first piece of this at a rummage sale for the historical society. It was the fondue pot in brand new condition with the tags still attached. I knew next to nothing about it, but I loved the colors and for $2, it came home with me. A quick search later and I found that the cheapest price I saw online was over $60. I'm not willing to pay anywhere near that for any of the other pieces. I'm really hoping to find the teapot though.


#4: Taylor Smith Boutonniere.

A few months ago, I walked into a thrift store and saw an adorable set of dishes with cute little turquoise flowers on the front. Instead of pricing it as a set, the shop priced each piece separately. I think it was $2.99 for the dinner plates, $7.99 for the serving dishes, $1.99 for the smaller plates, and $.99 for the cups. I didn't have the money in my budget for the whole set, and I didn't want to pay that much anyway.

Last month, I stumbled across a cute serving dish and picked it up for $4. It didn't hit me until today that it was the matching serving dish for the set! I found one of the other sets at an overpriced thrift store today and while I liked it, I didn't like it enough to pay $40 for the set. Here's hoping I come across some more pieces this summer.


#5: Vintage dinette set.


I found this exact set in a thrift store today. I really hate seeing something I love when I don't have the cash for it. This set will probably be gone in the next few days, if it didn't leave the store already. I have a love for all things vintage and retro, especially kitchen items. I've wanted a set like this for a long time, and I keep coming across them when money is tight.

As much as I love it, the truth is that I don't need it. We have a dining room table and a kitchen table. One of my old landlords gave me the dining room table, and we found the kitchen table in the garage when we moved in here, and our landlord told us to keep it. Still, if I find one cheap enough this summer, I'll definitely bring it home. This one was $90 for the table and two chairs. I kind of think someone reupholstered the chairs because the vinyl doesn't seem like it's attached correctly. Had I had the money this week, I would have dragged this one home with me though...

No comments:

Post a Comment